Monday, June 14, 2010

Lesson 6: Did somebody say trees?

Here is the homework I had after Lesson 5.  "Do trees with foliage, some rocks and hills, and a disappearing path." (She sure likes rocks!)   Done. 

This week we discussed the physics of color. Now, Pat did a lot of theatre work - scenery and such, so we talked about the color properties of light and how, with different colored lights or filters you can get different effect on painted backdrops.  For instance; if you use certain colored filters, you can make certain colors 'disappear.  If you add a red filter to a white spot light, what happens?  ...  Everything looks red.  So, now if you add a yellow filter to that what do you get?  Orange!  very good!  you are a smart crowd!  OK, now the tricky part... What happens if you add a blue filter to the red and yellow filters?  Now mind you these are transparent filters...  I answered "Brown?  Black?"  Well, no light at all can get through this filter combination!  Sure enough! when she had me hold up the three filters to the window red and yellow became orange and what I expected to look like the lens of dark sunglasses, when I added the blue filter,  was like holding up a sheet of black paper.  No light could get through at all.  It was kewl!  I won't bore you with the rest of my color science lesson but it was a fun class.  No lesson next week - Pat is having her hip replaced this Thursday, and depending on how quickly she heals I may not have my next lesson until after San Diego.  No way am I going the 3rd; I hope to be at the beach!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you're at a beach, too, Cyndi, but I hope you take a sketch pad with you! Your happy trees are gorgeous and they sure make ME happy! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen: Devin, Catherine and Vincent (and possibly Charles) are in a sunlit clearing... Vincent is sitting on a log (could be a rock! LOL) and basking in the sunlight, face upturned and eyes closed, and Catherine is watching him (with many feelings at once).

    I've had this scene in mind for a couple of years now, but I've been too lazy (or you name it) to write a story around it!

    Do I need to add: "nice trees"?

    ReplyDelete